Saturday, January 26, 2013

CHICKEN BINAKOL...FOR THE SOUL

Dear ZJ,

How about some CHICKEN BINAKOL for lunch?

I was able to cook this hearty soup dish for lunch today, January 26, 2013. It was relatively easy to make. All it took was to simmer together some chicken meat, sliced young coconut meat or buko, coconut water or buko juice, whole peppercorns, onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass or tanglad, tomatoes, finger chillies, chilli tops (or sili leaves) and a broth cube. I was able to find a recipe online for this dish. The recipe called for sauteing but I forego this method so as not to add more oil to the dish. I was not able to find kamias so I used tomatoes instead.

It was fun to watch and wait for this soup to cook. It took me about twenty minutes to prepare and about an hour to cook. Mom enjoyed sipping the warm soup. She also found it very flavorful, aromatic and very filling. She even said that I should cook it again.

It was like chicken tinola but with a twist since young coconut was added to it. By the way, the young coconut was brought this morning from an ambulant buko vendor for twenty pesos a piece. This version of the chicken binakol needed 2 buko. The rest of the ingredients were readily available from our ref. The lemongrass was from a neighbor's front yard and the chilli tops were picked from our garden. Mom cooked buttered fried rice to match the soup. It's always nice to have some hot soup once in a while.

I hope that you are having a happy weekend! Take care, always. Hear from you again real soon.

Sincerely,
Samantah

1 comments:

ZJ said...

One bowl of steaming chicken binakol, please :D Thank you!

Wow, I'm impressed. I am sure it is very flavourful coz you cooked it with lots of love. I've never made binakol yet because in our house in Roxas, it's my father's signature dish and only he can cook it the way we kids love it.

Good job, Sam. I give 5 spoons for you! hihihihi

 
;