Saturday, October 13, 2007

A day in our life...

I’ve taken some time off the blogosphere the past weeks one, due to work stuffs (as always); two, its Pchhum Ben holiday, a perfect excuse to go somewhere nicer; and three, my husband R had an accident, so we just stayed at home and watched DVDs during the holidays.

R was having a shower before his afternoon class last Tuesday when he knocked down our bathroom mirror. It broke on the sink and shards of glass sliced his feet, and the sight of it (a la CSI crime scene) freaked me out. For some strange reason, the sight of blood scares me and turns me immobile for a moment. I panicked and couldn’t think straight, couldn’t act normally. Luckily, R has great presence of mind and patiently guided me in what to do. First, we applied pressure on the cuts for 20mins or so, furiously changing rolls of cotton and tissue paper every minute. When the bleeding stopped, he cleaned his wounds while I looked on, handing him whatever he needed. We have a first aid kit at home and so, under his direction, I carefully applied Betadine and bandaged his wounds. We also have Savlon, a skin antiseptic sent by R’s mum months ago, and applied it on the scratches on his arms and hands. Just a reminder, please be warned of the graphic nature of the picture if you intend to view it on a large scale.

No, we didn’t go to a hospital or clinic - knowing how inadequate the medical facilities are here - we thought we could apply first aid ourselves. Besides, R said that while the cuts are not minor, they are still “manageable”.

This accident would be his second, our second (and hopefully will stay that way). The first incident was involving the two of us in a moto accident in Kep where I was assigned last year. He broke his right clavicle and two ribs while I had bruises and scratches.

I am so relieved that all his toes are still intact, there’s no sign of infection, and the wounds are healing nicely. In a few weeks, we hope it will all be completely healed and only scars will be visible to remind us of that fateful afternoon.

*Cross-posted to my other blog.

0 comments:

 
;